LOCATION ISSUES

ALAN

HI GUYS

NEED HELP. MY TARGET PHONE IS A BLACKBERRY.. LOCATIONS GIVEN IN THE WEB ACCOUNT IS FAR OFF FROM THE ACUAL LOCATION..

IT IS ONLY SHOWING NEAREST LOCATION UPTO FIRST 3 DIGITS OF THE POST CODE... EXAMPLE IF THE TARGET PHONE IS IN PCODE SE1 2LG. THE MAP IS SHOWING THE PLACE FOR SE1 2 ONLY. WHICH IS FEW MILES AWAY?????

DOES ANY ONE KNOWS WHY AND HOW TO RESSOLVE THIS PLEEEEEASE..

THANK YOU

I'm not using a blackberry, so not sure if this is the same, but are you using location by cell ID or by GPS ?

GPS should be pretty accurate, but cell id can be off quite a bit I've noticed. Very much depending on density of the cells.

The huge advantage of location by cell ID though is:

* You can use it all day without depleting the battery

* You get coverage even when the phone is in an area where you have no GPS reception (e.g. inside, in a car, etc..)

I must say that those practical advantages have made me switch over to cell ID location instead of GPS. Even though the precision is far worse.

Marty

As said, if cell ID is used then it will not be as accurate as using GPS itself. It sounds like you are using cell ID which means that the signal will be triangulated according to the nearest cell towers which is why you do not get 100% accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

As said, if cell ID is used then it will not be as accurate as using GPS itself. It sounds like you are using cell ID which means that the signal will be triangulated according to the nearest cell towers which is why you do not get 100% accuracy.

Hi

Thank you both of you for your comments...

I sorry i am struglling with time to study the process.

01. How do I konw what i am using - cell id or gps ?

02. How ever my location is always shown in my web account under location up to the nearest 3 digits of the post code example I the phone was in SE1 2EL , in my account it will show the place relevent to SE1 2 only

03. Can you guys help me saying whether we can get the location accuratly to the exact post code like SE1 2EL from this softwear by either by GPSor cell id methord..

Sorry I had to be explanatory....

Thanks?

I'm not using a blackberry, so not sure if this is the same, but are you using location by cell ID or by GPS ?

GPS should be pretty accurate, but cell id can be off quite a bit I've noticed. Very much depending on density of the cells.

The huge advantage of location by cell ID though is:

* You can use it all day without depleting the battery

* You get coverage even when the phone is in an area where you have no GPS reception (e.g. inside, in a car, etc..)

I must say that those practical advantages have made me switch over to cell ID location instead of GPS. Even though the precision is far worse.

Marty

Hi Marty

Thank you for the answer?How do I set up phone to be located only on GPS rather than Cell ID?

Thank you

Hi Marty

Thank you for the answer?How do I set up phone to be located only on GPS rather than Cell ID?

Thank you

To do this you need to deactivate and uninstall the software from the TARGET phone (backup your web account data first) and then go inside and download and install the software whilst you are outside. Because the TARGET phone is outside completely during the installation process it will then use GPS as the preferred method for getting location data providing the TARGET handset is GPS compatible.

To do this you need to deactivate and uninstall the software from the TARGET phone (backup your web account data first) and then go inside and download and install the software whilst you are outside. Because the TARGET phone is outside completely during the installation process it will then use GPS as the preferred method for getting location data providing the TARGET handset is GPS compatible.

Hi Ian

Thank you for the reply

When you say "INSTALL THE SOFTWARE WHILE YOU ARE OUTSIDE",

01. what do you mean by "outside"? Outside of what?

02. What do you mean by software? is it flexi, if that is the case do i need pay again to download?

03. Can not just change the settings from Cell id to GPS without deactivating the whole thing software and reinstalling again?

Rgds

When I mean outside I mean take the TARGET phone outside with you (not indoors).

Unfortunately this is the only way to change the GPS capture type used at this time.

Hi Ian

01 How do I download the programme?

02 as i did 1st time?

03 Then will you charge me again?

04 OR CAN I DOWN LOAD THE PROGRAMME ANY TIME FOR A YEAR TO THE SAME PHONE?

Please answer to each question with question number

Rgds

Hi Ian

01 How do I download the programme?

02 as i did 1st time?

03 Then will you charge me again?

04 OR CAN I DOWN LOAD THE PROGRAMME ANY TIME FOR A YEAR TO THE SAME PHONE?

Please answer to each question with question number

Rgds

At least for the Symbian version this is the case. Once you have your valid flexikey you can download the software as often as necessary. This is, after all, how you get any new releases.

At least for the Symbian version this is the case. Once you have your valid flexikey you can download the software as often as necessary. This is, after all, how you get any new releases.

1 - You gain access to the TARGET phone and use the internet on it to download the software to the TARGET phone according to the instructions in the manual you recieve after purchase.

2 - I do not understand.

3 - After one year and the subscription expires YOU need to renew again. It is NOT automatic.

4 - You can deactivate, uninstall and then install the software from one TARGET phone to another of the same type ONLY (e.g. Blackberry to Blackberry) as many times as you want whilst your subscription is still active.

You may not need to reinstall it, but the reason this might help is because the program will tend to continue using the location information it was able to confirm, whether that be GPS or Cell ID. Uninstalling will clear all cache memory from the program, but if you do this you also need to remove the battery momentarily before turning back on. Then reinstall again.

FlexiSPY will try GPS first but if that isn't available, it will go for Cell ID. GPS is only available when you are outdoors under open sky, in line of sight to a satellite and without any obstructions. You may get Cell ID any time it can't make a connection to the satellite. But if you want the GPS to work better, make sure that it can find the GPS the first time so it will not default to Cell ID and stay there. It's important to understand that it WILL get back to using GPS when available, but you will always get Cell ID whenever line of sight to a GPS satellite isn't possible.

Also, there is a GPS on Demand command for Blackberry. You can send this command at any time from the monitor phone and receive a location by reply SMS. If the phone is outdoors when it receives your command, it will again try to find a GPS satellite first.

I know that the OP's phone is a Blackberry and my experience is only with Flexispy on a Nokia (Symbian OS).

I don't know if it's the same for a Blackberry but within Flexispy (for Symbian) there are 2 options for configuring location information, by cell ID and by GPS. I have both configured. On the web server there are 3 types of messages received for LOC type events.

- a message which contains the words LAT and LONG followed by a string of digits, these are GPS co-ordinates and should indicate (within the accuracy limits of the phone GPS) the actual position of the phone. The co-ordinates can be entered into an application like Google Maps or Google Earth to find out where the phone is.

- a message containing a text string which is the "friendly" name assigned by the mobile network operator to a base station (or group of base stations). The string may identify a geographic feature, major road intersection, prominent landmark or building, suburb, postcode etc. In one country where I have used Flexispy, on the 31st of December all base stations change their name to "Happy New Year".

- a message containing 4 groups of numbers. The groups are Mobile Country Code (MCC), identifies the country where the base station is located. Mobile Network Code (MNC), identifies the mobile network operator (a single operator can use several MNCs). The Local Area Code (LAC), identifies an arbitary geographic area assigned by the network operator into which a number of base stations are located. The cell ID which identifies a particular base station within a LAC. For some parts of the world there are online databases where given the MCC, MNC, LAC and cell ID the geographic position of the cell tower is returned. For other parts of the world there is no information at all.

With both cell ID and GPS enabled I receive a mixture of all 3 message types uploaded to the web server.

So in reply to the OP and on the assumption that a Blackberry reports location information in a similar fashion to a Nokia. If you are receiving messages with LAT and LONG in them then you are using GPS, if not then it's only cell ID and if it's only a text string with nothing to identify MCC, MNC etc then it's the "friendly" name assigned by the network operator.

Some general notes on GPS usage, again based on a Nokia.

Within the normal phone menu system (not Flexispy) there is a section for configuring location services (GPS). They are

- external GPS. The phone receives GPS information from an external GPS receiver via a Bluetooth or cable connection.

- integrated GPS. The phone has a built in GPS receiver and uses that.

- network based services. The phone can receive position information from the current base station, the position is the location of the base station, not the actual phone.

- assisted GPS. The phone receives assistance from an external source to get the initial position fix to "prime" the internal GPS and then uses the internal GPS. The external source is a server located somewhere on the internet and the phone creates an internet connection to send a request and receive the initial fix. The external source usually has the name SUPL (secure user plan location) somewhere in the URL name. For a Nokia it's supl.nokia.com, for a LG phone it's supl.lg.com. There is a supl.google.com etc. In configuring the assisted GPS on a Nokia you need to supply the name (URL) of the SUPL server and the internet access point to use (usually the internet access point provided by the network operator). Use the SUPL server specified in the phone documentation. On some Nokias if you use the Google SUPL server it causes the phone to restart everytime the phone tries to use the GPS.

On a Nokia just using the integrated GPS without assisted GPS the phone can take 10s of minutes to get the initial fix or sometimes will not get a fix at all. With assisted GPS it normally gets a fix within 30 seconds or so.

Be aware. Everytime the phone uses assisted GPS it creates an internet data connection. This maybe on the first startup of the GPS and/or everytime the phone looses contact with the GPS satelites, e.g. goes into a building where it cannot receive the GPS signals. While the request and response only generate a small amount of data, by default on a Nokia each connection attempt raises a popup warning the phone operator that a billable event is about to occur. These popups can be supressed. However the popups and/or data connections may alert the operator of the target phone that something is going on.

So to the OP, if you aren't getting GPS information ensure that GPS is correctly configured on the phone (outside of Flexispy).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Patrick33