Rem Vid Not Updating - Status Update

Architect

This thread will be used to update regarding the following symptom that we are aware that occurs on Non Rooted Android.

SYMPTOM:

• Everything works, except an intermittent problem with 3 commands - specifically REMVID, REMCAM, AMBIENT.
  • The specific symptom is that these commands can be invoked from portal, but they never seem to execute on the client, and no error is returned on Portal after you issue the command. Its as if the commands have disappeared or are being ignored by the Client. The problem is almost always started by the use of REMVID after which symptoms appear.
  • The problem can be cleared by restarting the device, at which point, the device will execute commands that were sent immediately after invoking REMVID, implying that these commands are in the clients network command incoming queue.  

Work has started on this problem

3 hours ago, Architect said:

This thread will be used to update regarding the following symptom that we are aware that occurs on Non Rooted Android.

SYMPTOM:

• Everything works, except an intermittent problem with 3 commands - specifically REMVID, REMCAM, AMBIENT.
  • The specific symptom is that these commands can be invoked from portal, but they never seem to execute on the client, and no error is returned on Portal after you issue the command. Its as if the commands have disappeared or are being ignored by the Client. The problem is almost always started by the use of REMVID after which symptoms appear.
  • The problem can be cleared by restarting the device, at which point, the device will execute commands that were sent immediately after invoking REMVID, implying that these commands are in the clients network command incoming queue.  

Work has started on this problem

Thank you Architect... from my side I managed to get the target device restarted but still push commands not working, only the schedule ones.

Thanks

None of the commands work   Ambient, REMVID and REMCAM  no matter the sequence they are applied

For many of us we have no access and want to know if the fix will still allow us use of the program after

it is fixed.  I have no ability to uninstall and reinstall and will not for months to come. Travel restrictions

and if we are to turn on and off the device so many times that is not able to be done either. Hoping the fix will work when you figure it out and that we can get back to getting the product we paid for.

Unable to root is also an issue on the LG6 so that leaves me at a loss as well.

"The problem is almost always started by the use of REMVID after which symptoms appear."-Architect, its not accurate, as this problem can be happening even with no command has been sent at all. Sometimes it get "stuck", meaning that you see that "device settings last updated" is not updating at all even if you press the sync button. In this case you know that no command will have a result. I emphasize- it can happen even without sending one of those 3 commands and out of the blue. Something is causing a problem between the target device and the servers. What it is? I dont know, but looking back at the last 2 monthts i can tell it started with the symptom that you had to press sync after each push command you send in order to execute it, and than after a week or two, it became to this issue in which every now and than it got stuck and yiu need to restart the target to brung it alive again. After the restart it can work an hour, few hours or sometimes even a day or two, but it keeps on getting stuck. I dont think its a problem with app itself, as no change was made since the last time i installed it and it worked fine for 2 months untill sometime in March. I do believe it is connected somehow with your servers, or to be accurate, the connection between the targets and the servers. If you made a change with regard to the servers in the last 2 months, than this is the place where i would looking for the problem cause if i were you.

The proposed solutioun to this is problem, is to develop a commnd tracing tool that can be accesed from inside the customer portal,. This will let customer instantly see socket connection status and command processing progress.

The design is in 4 parts, of which one part is complete and second part is in progress.

The first part will allow customer to see the PCC Reply System events that are sent by client to the server, over the network. This is still not real time, but is a start.

The second part will allow ability to see the actual socket connection status of all device in the account and the ability to request the PUSH server command logs.

The third part will add full support for client to reply using socket to the server, and ability to view these responses

The final part will add command tagging so the entire sequence of a command can be easily seen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Architect said:

Perhaps I can give you the logs and you can help to solve the problem? After all, its not rocket science!😄

Good morning Architect.

Thanks a lot for the detailed updated, for me its sounds way too complicated so for now I will just sit tight and wait for the fix!!

Thanks for trying! for now for me still working only the scheduled reports.

I am pretty sure everyone here will appreciated the update.

Are there any updates?

Any progress going on?

Just curious.

Nothing changed on this side. 

The problem seems to be the device settings does not refresh.

It works sometimes then and allows everything to work as should be then it stops and it does not refresh again until the device is turned off and on again  

So far no more update since the last one 5 days ago from Architect.

My target device yesterday stop sync also, so now the software is completed out of work. No push commands or sync manually or auto.

I manage to have the target device restarted and still not working.

I send  a ticket yesterday but so far not replied.

No synchronization from afternoon.Once the target smartphone is powered off, the command is sent and executed. The rebooted target device performs the last transmission and is the same as the problem I have been experiencing since April. Even if you send commands such as recording and taking pictures, you will only print out the contents that you have been sent, and there is no feedback at all, and if you enter the account information and check it, the last synchronization time will be displayed a few hours ago. I didn't send multiple commands at once, and I was waiting for it to be completed, but there was no response. When will the same problem be solved? Most of the same problem cannot be seen as a problem with Clariant's smartphone.

• Designs for Stage 1 - 3 complete
  • Awaiting resources to start implementation of Stage 1.

Carried our furthur debug, which suggest that in the two cases I have looked at, when there is a problem, its very specific and related to a malformed data stream from client to server. This must get rejected by the server, and the payload is held for retry, until max_retries is reached, and the payload is ababdoned.

In the case looked at today, it seems  that there was just such a problem, and when the connection is reset, the previously failed payloads are finally delivered.

Analysis of server logs will continue, but they were not designed for this. I will update the design, but we need to build, test and deploy. WIth the CV19 situation, resources are a serious problems, and I have no way of letting you know when tihs can be fixed.

11 minutes ago, Architect said:
  • Designs for Stage 1 - 3 complete
  • Awaiting resources to start implementation of Stage 1.

Carried our furthur debug, which suggest that in the two cases I have looked at, when there is a problem, its very specific and related to a malformed data stream from client to server. This must get rejected by the server, and the payload is held for retry, until max_retries is reached, and the payload is ababdoned.

In the case looked at today, it seems  that there was just such a problem, and when the connection is reset, the previously failed payloads are finally delivered.

Analysis of server logs will continue, but they were not designed for this. I will update the design, but we need to build, test and deploy. WIth the CV19 situation, resources are a serious problems, and I have no way of letting you know when tihs can be fixed.

Thank you for the update Architect, that's very helpful to know what's the currently investigation of the issue.

For me until yesterday the software was at least sync and send it over data collected as scheduled but since yesterday it shows target device not connected but I am sure is on and connected to the internet. 

I have send a ticket through the help support team but I am pretty sure that has to do with the whole situation that you are working on.

Device was restarted but still showing not connected .

Again ...thanks for the update

Can you PM me your account id or IMEI and let me know that its ok to access your devices as required as part of the debug process. We are using Baktus's devices as a reference to gather data, and we could also include your device data as we look at the problem.

We made a change to the server today addressing an issue where some devices could not connect to the server due to connections errors. 

My current analysis is that the issue is with a race condition in some clients that causes client lockup resulting in no payload delivery. However, there are a number of delivery attempts that fail or are seriously delayed due to payload corruption, and todays fix attempts to address these.

There is also a problem with non root devices not connecting reliably to push server, and we are looking at ways to improve this

Work still continues on plan as described above.

1 hour ago, Architect said:

We made a change to the server today addressing an issue where some devices could not connect to the server due to connections errors. 

My current analysis is that the issue is with a race condition in some clients that causes client lockup resulting in no payload delivery. However, there are a number of delivery attempts that fail or are seriously delayed due to payload corruption, and todays fix attempts to address these.

There is also a problem with non root devices not connecting reliably to push server, and we are looking at ways to improve this

Work still continues on plan as described above.

Great effort and thanks for the update, hopefully will be sorted once for all soon.