Programmers' Perspectives

bluesurf

What is the best phone platform? Symbian, Android, MS7, Apple...

With the expert programmers working on Flexispy products (as well as knowledgable program users), I thought that this might be a good place to find the "skinny" on phone operating systems. What is the best? Nokia has long had a top reputation for its clarity of sound - a true phone-lovers preference. I don't know if that is due to the Symbian platform. I have also been told that phone systems built on a linux-type base (Android, Apple?) will suffer because the processing does not happen "in real time". I don't know where Microsoft fits in.

I expect that the programmers around this site see the inside workings of the phone operating systems and have their favorites and preferences. Please share with us your thoughts.

Symbian is the easiest to program for but the market lies with the likes of iPhone and Android which requires rooting and jailbreaking and speficic handsets and firmware and such. This is why it seems that Flexispy is not doing anything to its iPhone or Android software whilst new phones and firmware updates are constantly released.

In truth we are working tirelessly as every firmware update means that part of our software has to be completely rewritten. This is no easy feat by any means. Customers think that any and all software will work with all firmware versions which is just not the case.

For Android there is the whole issue to take in to consideration of providers blocking third party apps from being installed on the phone (such as ours) which also takes time to be worked around.

We are also working on OS 6.0 for Blackberry as we realise this is going to be something that customers also want but again new OS updates as well as BBM updates are released frequently, and, sure, we could just rush out our software and say it works but that is not what Flexispy is about, we have to make sure every OS update, software update and firmware update is rigorously tested with all aspects of our software.

Rome was not built in a day, was it?

Symbian is the easiest to program for but the market lies with the likes of iPhone and Android which requires rooting and jailbreaking and speficic handsets and firmware and such.

So Ian, which phone do you personally use day to day? A Nokia, or something else...

I stick with a Windows Mobile phone. It does all I need to do, it is getting old, and the iPhone and Android are better in terms of technology and features but I just chose to go with that platform.